What role will gas play in a carbon constrained world?
As Australia, and the world, move towards a lower carbon future, gas once again is emerging as the potential ‘transition’ fuel.
By Aleks Zids, Australian Domestic Gas Outlook (ADGO)
Recent events in South Australia have sparked the debate about security of energy supply and many, including leading industry executives, view gas generation as critical in balancing the intermittency of renewables.
However, this is not occurring in a silo, and current domestic gas market challenges will play a critical role in determining what sort of role gas will play in a carbon constrained Australia.
In recent years many have projected a slow downturn in domestic gas use, with any increases in production expected to be driven by export. This however could prove completely incorrect if there is an uplift in gas use for generation, which on the east coast could have significant implications for the demand and directional flows of gas.
The Australian Domestic Gas Market Outlook conference, being held from 13 – 16 March, is the best place to access the information you need about the gas market, its future and the implications it has pipelines and gas networks.
Key speakers for the 5th annual Australian Domestic Gas Outlook conference include:
- The Hon. Matthew Canavan, Minister for Resources and Northern Australia, Federal Government
- Rod Sims, Chair, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
- John Pierce, Chair, Australian Energy Market Commission
- Martin Ferguson, Group Head of Natural Resources, Seven Group Holdings and Chairman, APPEA Advisory Board
- Ian Macfarlane, Chief Executive Officer, Queensland Resources Council
- Kylie Hargreaves, Deputy Secretary, NSW Department of Industry
- Cheryl Cartwright, Chief Executive Officer, Australian Pipelines and Gas Association
- Richard Cottee, Managing Director, Central Petroleum
- Tony Frencham, Regional President, Dow Chemical Company
- Tony Mahar, Chief Executive Officer, National Farmers’ Federation
- Paul Adams, Managing Director, Jemena
- Rob Wheals, Group Executive Transmission, APA Group
- Ian Davies, Managing Director, Senex Energy
- David Maxwell, Chief Executive Officer, Cooper Energy
- Mike Lawson, Deputy Secretary, Department of Industry
- Malcolm Roberts, Chief Executive Officer, APPEA
Join the ADGO in March – download the full agenda online for details.